Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Getting Things Started

Isn't the first day of a diet or exercise program the easiest?  We had a healthy meal tonight, almost entirely vegetarian and then some exercise afterwards.  Tonight our entire household went for a walk.  Ethan and Lois have been running/walking for a week or so, often taking our three older kids with them.  This evening as everyone got ready, I decided to go too and asked Cory if he wanted to come as well.  He really wanted to walk in place while he loaded the dishwasher, but after a little cajoling, decided not to be left out.  It was a nice evening and we all felt better for doing it.  I was really surprised at how great the kids did.  Ian probably kept up the best with the runners (Adam, Ethan & Lois) and Elise did great too, only she got a cramp in her side part of the way through.  Even Merry Grace could run quite a ways, only when she got tired she would climb into the stroller or bat her sweet little eyes at one of her uncles and have them carry her.  Must be nice. :)  Our walk was probably a little better than a mile, with Ethan going 2 miles and Adam 3.  Afterwards we came back in and did a little muscle toning.  Adam, with a little more incentive to impress the ladies, has been working out quite a bit in recent months.  He, Cory and Adam had a push-up contest.  I'm pretty sure Cory won, but the other guys might contest that.  Lois and I also did a few, with mine being the "girlie" kind.  I heard a comment or two about that, but honestly, I'm thrilled I had the upper body strength to do any kind of exercise more involved than lifting a candy bar to my mouth. :)  Next came sit-ups, which I'm sorely in need of.  Ian and Elise joined in for these with Ian doing 53, assuming he counted right.  He did a lot,  that much I know.  So far, we're off to a good start.  It always seems like the starting part is a lot easier than the sticking with it part.  Wish us luck!

3 comments:

Jacob & Melissa Wiggins said...

Great job everyone. We too, are in hopes of starting sometime next week. I know a lot of people say things like that, but as you can tell, I(Jake) need the excercise. From the Wiggins family..."Great Job"!!
☺☺☺☺☺

Amanda said...

i'm really impressed. great job!!

Carolina girl said...

Good for you guys--doing it all together as a family! Aaron and the girls go bike riding each afternoon, but John and I get left behind. :(